As golf season ramps up, the physiotherapists at Life Therapies are often sought out to address “Golfer’s Shoulder”. But did you know that while the shoulder is a common site of injury, the hips and the back can also be to blame? This is not to say the shoulders are innocent, but sometimes there is more at play when it comes to “Golfer’s Shoulder”.
What Are The Symptoms of Golfer’s Shoulder?
Symptoms can include:
- Tenderness and pain
- Stiffness and muscle tension around the shoulder girdle
- Impingement or catching
How will Physiotherapy Help with Golfer’s Shoulder?
Your Life Therapies physiotherapist will start with an assessment:
- Ask about your symptoms
- Ask about your general health, fitness level and any previous injuries
- Perform tests to assess your movement patterns, function, stability and strength of the muscles of the upper body
- Ask about your expectations and goals with physiotherapy
Based on the findings, your physiotherapist will assist with symptom management and develop an individualized return to activity plan that incorporates many of the following treatment techniques:
- Therapeutic exercise to stabilize, strengthen and improve posture
- Manual therapy and soft tissue techniques
- Modalities including electrical stimulation, laser and ultrasound
- Acupuncture or IMS
- Recovery and relaxation techniques
Get Back Into The Swing
Improve your golf performance while reducing injury with help from the physiotherapists at Life Therapies. Please reach out by calling the clinic or emailing us. We’re ready to help!