A Unique Approach
At Life Therapies’ Ottawa clinic, Larissa Gough‘s unique style of massage is a combination of different techniques, based on both Western and Eastern view of the body-mind system. Her customized treatment is designed to relieve stress and pain and induce deep relaxation through a synergy of the therapeutic effects of Deep Tissue Massage, Trigger Points, Acupressure, Breath and Aromatherapy.
Stress Management, Pain Relief and Relaxation
Stress causes anxiety, headaches, stomach pains, as well as high blood pressure and sleep disturbances. Stress-induced tension causes poor circulation of the blood, lymph and vital energy (chi), detrimentally affecting the function of the cells and organs, and triggering pain. Pain is the body’s “alarm system”, indicating imbalance and malfunction. Prolonged emotional stress can also have a negative effect on our energy system, creating an imbalance in flow of energy along the meridians and the corresponding organs.
The purpose of the treatment is to restore physical, emotional and energetic balance in your body-mind system. Specific massage and breathing techniques are used to activate a “relaxation response” to counteract the effects of stress. Breathing enhances the pain-relieving power of massage and helps relax tense muscles, improve blood and lymph circulation, and balance vital energy for optimum functioning and well-being. This is fundamental for pain-free living.
Regular, specialized massage will help improve your overall health. Massage helps reduce stress, promote relaxation, balance hormones and neurotransmitters, strengthen the immune system, and improve posture and flexibility. Massage helps restore muscle elasticity and range of motion, and can prevent injuries. Regular massage can help you maintain a relaxed state and better handle life’s stresses.
What to Expect
- The treatments are customized according to individual needs and condition.
- Most clients choose to benefit from natural oils (coconut, lavender, etc.) applied directly to the skin. However, you can receive an effective treatment regardless of what clothing you choose to remove. Your comfort and relaxation is a top priority. If you choose to be clothed, please wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing.
- During the treatment, the body is always covered and only the body part being worked on will be uncovered.
- The practitioner will ask you periodically about the pressure. Feel free to communicate with the practitioner about the pressure at any time, as well as about any discomfort you might be feeling throughout the treatment.
- There will be relaxation music played, unless you prefer silence.
- After the treatment, the practitioner will provide you with self-care advice and your recommended treatment plan. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.
- In order to achieve optimal results, a few frequent sessions might be required. The “corrective phase” usually takes from 4 to 8 sessions weekly or biweekly, depending on the individual’s condition.
- During the “maintenance and prevention phase”, less frequent sessions are sufficient (usually once a month or every other month) to maintain long-lasting benefits and enjoy pain-free living.
Avoid heavy meals for an hour prior to your treatment and make sure you are well hydrated before and after your massage.
Our Acupressure Practitioner
Larissa Gough is an acupressure practitioner. She received her training in Massage Therapy in Leningrad, USSR (now St. Petersburg, Russia) in 1985. Over the years she has acquired a wealth of healing modalities knowledge in Acupressure, Reflexology, Breath Therapy, Energetic Balancing, Joint Mobilization, and Ayurveda.